How to reach Siena
Arrive in Siena
From Florence (Santa Maria Novella and Rifredi stations) it is possible to find either direct trips or trips that include a short switch in Empoli: journey times are approximately 1h and 25-45 min.
Coming from Rome a switch is needed, either in Florence or in Chiusi Chianciano-Terme (this second option being limited to InterCity and Regional trains). From Pisa a switch is needed, in Empoli and/or in Florence.
For those who arrive in Florence by train it is also possible to board a bus for the Florence-Siena trip (see below).
The railway station is located about 1 km from the historic center, which can be reached walking (about 25 minutes) using the shopping center escalators in front of the station up to the Antiporto di Camollia; you can reach the historic center by bus (convenient stops can be found in the basement of the shopping center and at the Antiporto di Camollia), or by taxi (main stop in front of the station, tel. 057749222)
- From Milan-Bologna-Florence: follow the A1 motorway to Firenze Impruneta, then the Firenze-Siena motorway connection. The closest exit to the historic center is Siena Ovest. Follow the signs for the historic center (closed to traffic) or for the car parks.
- From Rome: follow the A1 motorway up to Valdichiana (Bettolle-Sinalunga), then enter the Siena-Bettolle motorway connection up to Siena and follow the signs for the center.
- From Grosseto: enter the SGC Grosseto-Fano connection road up to Siena, then follow the signs for the center.
- From Arezzo: enter the SGC Grosseto-Fano connection road up to Monte San Savino, then continue towards Lucignano and follow the signs for Siena. In Rigomagno, take the SGC Grosseto-Fano again to Siena, then follow the signs for the center.
- From Genoa: follow the A12 motorway towards Pisa, then at the Viareggio Camaiore junction, turn onto the A11 towards Lucca-Florence and then take the Firenze-Siena junction.
- The historic center is closed to traffic: on the portal of the Municipality of Siena it is possible to obtain information on temporary accesses to the ZTL (limited traffic zone) area; it is advisable to ask the hotels for information on possible temporary access possibilities.
From Florence there are connections from 6.10 to 21.15: the buses leave from the bus station, which is in via Santa Caterina da Siena, at the SITA bus station, in front of the railway station. For information on timetables, please visit www.tiemmespa.it.
From Grosseto (railway station) there are connections from 6.20 to 19.20. For information on timetables, please visit www.tiemmespa.it.
A bus connection with Fiumicino Airport has been available since 1 August 2014: 4 daily trips on the Siena-Fiumicino Leonardo Da Vinci airport route with stops also in Grosseto, Orbetello and the Port of Civitavecchia. To make a reservation and purchase a ticket, you can visit the websites www.tiemmespa.it and www.sitbusshuttle.com.
Bus connections are available mainly from Rome, Bologna, Milan but also from Perugia, Genoa, Turin, Venice, Naples.
Siena is also linked by bus with the following regions: Marche, Umbria, Sicily, Puglia, Campania, Basilicata e Calabria (a switch is necessary in part of the routes).
Please visit www.sena.it for information.
The closest airports are those of Florence, Pisa, Bologna, and Rome.
From the Florence airport you can reach the Santa Maria Novella station with a shuttle. From here it is possible to board the bus, at a stop not far from the station, or the Florence-Siena train.
From the Pisa airport you can reach Siena in 110 minutes by bus, or by train through Empoli or Florence.
From the Leonardo da Vinci airport in Rome, you can reach the Rome Tiburtina railway station via the underground service. You can then reach Siena by bus (Sena) or by train.
Car Parks in Siena
Exit “Siena Nord” of the Siena ring road. It is a convenient car park for stays lasting several days; it is ideal for those who need to use the railway services and a quick connection to the city centre. The car park is located near the lift with escalators from which you can reach Porta Camollia and the historic center on foot (about 25 minutes). Next to the car park there is a bus and taxi stop.
Il Campo, via di Fontanella, 1
Near Porta Tufi
Exit “Siena Sud” of the Siena ring road.
Il Duomo, via di Nuovo Asilo, 1
Near Porta San Marco
Exit “Siena Ovest” of the Siena ring road.
Santa Caterina, via Esterna Fontebranda
Near the Fontebranda escalators heading to the Duomo.
Exit “Siena Ovest” of the Siena ring road.
Stadio Fortezza, viale dei Mille, 1
Follow indications to the center – Stadium.
San Francesco Car Park, via Baldassarre Peruzzi
Near the church of San Francesco, the headquarters of Monte dei Paschi and the city center.
Siena provides three systems of escalators to overcome the most challenging height differences in the city and easily walk to the historic center: